Sunday 4 May 2008

Painting Dramas!

Those of you who pop in for a visit frequently will know that I've been trying to convince my beloved Geek Boy for some time to paint our bedroom. Well ... with his RDO on Friday and the May Day holiday on Monday combining to give us a four day weekend (and the budget looking so sickly that we couldn't really afford to go away!!) I finally got my wish! YAY! I've got a new doona cover that I've had tucked away for months now, waiting until the painting was done and have had make-shift curtains up ... until the painting gets done ... can you see the pattern here?!?! So, I was very excited to FINALLY be painting. Off we went to get the paint - not even an argument this time!! You see, I'm a colour freak who's married to a colour conservative! So, usually, there are lengthy discussions along the lines of "You can't have a colour that BRIGHT in there!" and "That colour is so dull it will send me to sleep!" We usually find a compromise that, I have to give GB credit, is usually closer to my pick than his, but this time I just showed him what I wanted and he said "OK". WOW!

Then it was home to clear out the smaller pieces of furniture and cover the bed so we didn't find any abstract paintings on our sheets.


No, I haven't been secretly turned into a 'pink' person - the sheets were a wedding present and too high a quality to not use. Besides, they were either covered with the doona or it was dark, so I couldn't be offended by the pink!! Tee! Hee! Hee! Apologies to all those pink-lovers out there - it's just one of my least fave colours!!

So, then we hit the paintbrushes. Want a sneak peek?


Here's Geek Boy in action - see? Not just a computer geek!! What do you think of my colour choice?! It's called "Emerald City", but it's actually more of a dark teal. It will have the winter white trims that all of our house will eventually have and the bed is winter white iron, the new doona cover is white with Battenburg lace inserts, the mozzie net and half tester valance are white ... I saw a dream bedroom done this way in a magazine years and years ago and have been working towards it ever since!! It reminds me of the ocean - the deep teal of the water with the white foam - very peaceful and serene - at least to me! And Geek Boy actually doesn't care too much, especially when I pointed out his good fortune in not being married to someone who wanted the bedroom all pink and frilly and lacy!! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Now, things were going swimmingly today on day two of our bedroom make-over when GB's paint bucket made a wild bid for freedom - from the top of the ladder! I was outside painting skirting boards at the time and only heard the loud crash and resulting loud muttering about the parentage of said paint bucket!!! On cautious inspection (didn't want the same verbal haranguing the bucket got!!) I peeked around the door to see a fairly sizable puddle of paint on the floor and GB frantically trying to get as much back into the offending bucket as possible. After much huffing, several buckets of water and lots of dark teal rags, the mess was attended to, but GB decided lunch and a little kindy kip might be in order before he went into battle again.

So while he was napping, I wandered out to soak up some sun and thaw my frozen tootsies. Which was when I discovered a couple of little hidden surprises in my front jungle - oops! I mean GARDEN!!! (It's a little overgrown at the moment!!)


This banksia was one of our free plants from the City Council nursery that we got about three years ago. (each year, our city council used to send out a voucher for two free plants from the Council nursery for each rate-payer, but our regional councils have just amalgamated so no one is certain whether this will continue!)It was only about 6" high when I chose it and although it's grown to about 6 ft, this is the first time it's flowered in that time - so I was a bit excited! There's another immature flower, too, but the photo ended up flurry - oops! Then, in another little corner of my overgrown garden I found this ...


It was a birthday gift the first year we were in this house when I was trying to get some gardens happening on a shoestring budget. My sister-in-law and her hubby gave me five plants from a market stall and all the label on this one said was "Pink Wisteria". Well, it doesn't behave or look at all like the traditional purple wisteria that is a perennial vine, but it is very pretty and the flowers are so delicate looking. It's a bit of a 'surprise' plant, in that, it sends up random runners that pop up in some very unlikely places in the garden, flower, then die down and disappear, only to reappear somewhere else next spring. My garden is as unpredictable as I am! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Anyways, I think Geek Boy's nap allocation is almost gone, so I'd best go crack the whip to get him moving again - hopefully without any more catastrophes! I'll keep you posted on progress! Til next time, Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

3 comments:

Carin said...

Great color!!! I am glad you didn't have to have a battle to get it. :O)

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

oohhhh Kris, painting mishap on your floor - that can't be good. I would have been beside myself with panic which clearly Scott was!!

Hope your bedroom make-over is all finished now. The decor sounds lovely and peaceful which is exactly what a bedroom should be. Can't wait to see the photos of the finished job.

Hugs,
Kerryanne

Linda said...

Hi Kris,
Looove the colour you are painting your bedroom can't wait to see what it looks like finished. Hope you had a wonderful weekend.
Cheers Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...