Monday 31 August 2009

The Unveiling!!


OK ... those of you who've been holding your breath, waiting to see what I've made ...

BREATHE!! YOU'RE TURNING BLUE!

Tee! Hee! Hee! Now before I show you what all of those elements from my last post added up to for my Mother-In-Law, let me just brag a little by saying I did NOT buy ANYTHING specially to make this giftie - it is made entirely from bits and bobs in my stash. See ... I KNEW there was a REALLY good reason to randomly add to my stash along the way! Tee! Hee! Hee! OK, no more suspense ... Wendy was right ... it's a bag.


Ta Da! Was it worth the wait! :0) Hope my MIL thinks so! I'm pretty chuffed with how it's come up, actually, considering I had NO plan or idea of the finished product when I started joining squares and rows together. Here's a closer look at the bag ...


The squares are left over from the border of my "Butterfly Hunt" quilt that will be in December's issue of "Homespun" magazine; the applique is Anni Downs' "Sarah The Sewing Angel" from "An Angel's Story" - great book, just ask Stina! :0) The fabric in the applique all came from my "small-but-potentially-useful" bag, the rick-rack was left over from my "Girls Stuff Bags", the button and ribbon were both in my stash and even the lining ...


Was pieced leftovers from "Butterfly Hunt". So ... there you go ... a fun pattern, a few left overs, a little bit of imagination - and a large dash of desperation!!! - and you can come up with just the thing for the MIL's birthday! You'll see that I've stitched "Stitching" down the side, as my MIL is a stitcher too, so this is a project bag for her. I'm going to also make a matching pin cushion and maybe a scissor keep ... if I have time before we see her!! And I'm sure she will be reminded of her 'angelic' Daughter-In-Law every time she uses it! Oh ... wait ... I seem to have left the halo off the angel ... perhaps that's just as well! Tee! Hee! Hee!

So, that's my second project finished for August and popped on my sidebar list of OPAM Challenge finishes - May Britt is already fielding email lists of monthly finishes - I forward any that come to me, so never fear that you'll miss out! Don't forget to update your sidebar list if you aren't able to send an email report, that way May Britt will be able to see at a glance what you've been up to ... end of month winner on May Britt's blog in the next day or so, so stay tuned!

The other thing I thought I'd show you today was a lovely surprise 'just-because-I-saw-it-and-thought-of-you' gift. (Bet THAT title isn't going to catch on as a Hallmark greeting card category! Tee! Hee! Hee!) My dancing buddy, Lynda, was poking around a second hand shop on the weekend and found this little treasure ...


Isn't this little red port the CUTEST thing!!! Lynda knows that I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE old ports and have them scattered around the house for bears to sit in, so she snaffled it up and gave it to me today when I crashed her place for a catch up lunch. Here's a look at the inside ...


Not only does this little port still have it's original locks and leather handle on the outside, it has the original lining fabric inside. See ... my 'beautiful assistants' are showing it to you! :0) Not sure what treasures I'll pop in here or where I'll put it, but you can be CERTAIN that I will find a home for this wonderful new treasure! And thank you to the OTHER treasure in this story, my buddy LYNDA - thanks for thinking of me, Lynda - I LOOOOOOOOOVE my surprise!!

And now ... I need to go think about cooking some dinner before heading off to Murder rehearsals. No, I'm not planning a life of crime, just more practice and preparation for the theatre restaurant production of "Murder At The Music Hall" that I'm part of in October. Am finding my poor brain isn't as good at remembering lines, song lyrics, stage directions or choreography as it used to be!! Still, lots of funny stuff happening behind the scenes - in fact, someone suggested it might be more entertaining to video the rehearsals and show it on the night! Tee! Hee! Hee! Hope you're having a great start to the week - good luck in the OPAM Challenge end of month draw and bye for now! Til next time ...

Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

12 comments:

ittybittyandpretty said...

yes it was well worth it!! and i really want to know the dates of your performances i might just be able to come up for a play....
smooches
p.s. i mean it i want those dates!

ittybittyandpretty said...

p.s. have finished 3 lavender hearts this month among other things. will go add to my side bar

Carin said...

It turned out lovely! She will adore it I am sure.

Great travel case!

Wendyb said...

I knew it!!! A woman can never have enough bags...they're always wanted...and who wouldn't want that one - it's beautiful! I'm absolutely positive she'll love it.
Love your resourcefulness Kris..maybe that's why my leftover stash is muuuuuuch bigger!!.. Time for me to take some tips!
Love the port too..and a pink one! Looks like one I used to take to school when I was in grade 2 maaaaany years ago!!! hehehe Wish I'd kept it.
have a happy day
;o) Wendy

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Kris,
Oh, I love the bag.

When I grow up, I'm going to learn how to make bags. lol
Hm, you also take great photographs.
Have a good week.
Hugs,
Anna

Jo in TAS said...

Lovely bag for your stitching Mum and a great stash buster too! That port is adorable, I collect the little brown ones, I wish I'd kept the one I'd taken to Primary School!

Jantine said...

The bag is lovely, great job!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh that halo really is choking you..........lol.......such a darling DIL..........beautiful bag........

bubbachenille said...

Nice job on the bag Kris, Hope you had a great time catching up with lovely Linda too !

Stina Blomgren said...

Oh yes.. It is a great book!!!! And Kris.. love your bag!!!! :o))

Unknown said...

Your MIL is a very lucky lady to have you in her family !!!

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Kris

Goodness me you are a clever little creator!!!

Adorable I think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...